Storing your leisure vehicle
Another key factor to consider is storage, for when your leisure vehicle is not in use.
If you have space and want to store your leisure vehicle at home things to consider are:
• Check that there are no obvious height problems
• Check your local bylaws because there may be restrictions
• Think about the security of your leisure vehicle if it is parked on a driveway
• If you are not using your leisure vehicle possibly in the winter months, and wish to store it away from home you may wish to consider a secure storage site.
• Cost-effective options, such as finding a local storage centre. It would be worth having a look in your local area to identify who offers a caravan storage service. We recommend that you check where it will be stored and check that the area is secure and what security measure they have in place. Find out what their policies and procedures are, for example can you access your leisure vehicle at any time or are there closing hours, or do you need to contact them in advance to access your caravan. You would also want to know about insurance and costs.
• It is recommended that you use an Approved Leisure Vehicle Storage site to protect your leisure vehicle. Look for storage sites near you on the Approved Leisure Vehicle Storage scheme website.
• It might be that you have a favourite caravan site to visit and would like your leisure vehicle stored on-site ready for when you visit, be that in the UK or abroad.
CARAVAN STORAGE SITE OWNER’S ASSOCIATION (CASSOA)
The Caravan Storage Site Owner’s Association (CASSOA) is a recognised membership body providing security accreditations to over 500 secure caravan and motorhome storage sites. Many insurance companies offer policy discounts for vehicles stored on secure CASSOA sites due to its commitment to reducing theft.
It awards three levels of security to sites, based on a number of features including CCTV, entry points, perimeter fencing and alarm systems. So you can choose your storage site accordingly and be confident that your leisure vehicle will be kept safe and sound.
Both The Camping and Caravanning Club and The Caravan and Motorhome Club offer a number of options for safe storage with many of the club sites offering temporary overnight storage.
For a list of Camping and Caravanning Club sites offering this facility: http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/storageseasonalpitches/
For Caravan Club information on safety and security: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/club-sites/storage-facilities